Wednesday, September 20, 2006

All Night Now

It's two in the morning and I'm pulling my first all-nighter since university, rewriting this magazine story from the ground up before tomorrow. A sudden rash of interviews (what have you people been doing for the last two weeks, while I chased my tail trying to get someone to go on the record?!? Huh? Huh?) has reshaped the yarn yet again, so it's back to square one. And with the kids home tomorrow, it's now or never, do or die.

Which is why, obviously, I'm choosing to write a blog entry, rather than actually work on the story.

I was a past-master at procrastination back at university, explaining the regular need for the all-nighters back then. Tutorial in the morning? Better get that essay done tonight then ... But even with a mere handful of hours to work with, I'd find something to divert me from the matter in hand. You see, the great thing about tertiary education is that no matter how late you stay up, someone else you're living with will be up too, working on their own last minute project. And they're always willing to distract you and be distracted.

Circumstances are rather different now, of course. My wife packed it in for the night hours ago, and there's no way I'm waking the kids up.

So it's down to the dog to keep me company. Deciding she was more in need of a belly-tickle than the story was of re-nosing, I chucked it in and sloped off to where she was asleep on the sofa.

It's worth mentioning that my hound's a bit lazy. Nothing else can explain the reason why, after being sick on the sofa, she was too apathetic to actually get up and move afterwards. No, why do that when you can simply plonk your head down in the vomit and go back to sleep? After all, someone's bound to come along sooner or later and clean it up, right?

Hmm. Actually, it is like having another student living with me, isn't it?

1 Comments:

Blogger Roo Green said...

Mmmm the joys of our student life... Think it's worth pointing out that I've never vomited on your soft furnishings! Hope the article got finished in time x

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home