Friday, November 27, 2009

Crossing the Line


So there you have it. Three days to go and I have passed the 50,000 word mark, officially completing NaNoWriMo 2009. I even managed to squeeze an extra 600 words out before the plot collapsed, gasping, under the strain.

As far as the story itself goes ... well, it's workable. Yes, there are dodgy bits (like the character who fulfils a function for the first half of the book, then mysteriously disappears ...) and there'll be a fair old rewrite required, but you never know. At least it's proven the story has the legs to sustain a longer-than-usual length. By the time it's tidied up, I can even see it cracking 70,000 words.

The big thing I've picked up is that my writing speed is now far faster than before, and ultimately that should make me more productive. But whether I can make the jump from microscopically fiddling with plots before writing anything to just plunging in without a safety net ... the jury's out on that one.

2 Comments:

Blogger Addster said...

Congrats, mate. Not an easy thing to do at all.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Roo Green said...

It's an amazing achievement. Well done!

3:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home