Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Getting the Boot

Perth's suddenly become the focus of Australia, with the news that footballer Ben Cousins has been suspended from premiership-winning club the West Coast Eagles for an indefinite period.



Cousins has a colourful - almost comedic - history of foul-ups. The best of the bunch was his decision to abandon his car and run away from a police breath-test unit last year, opting to swim a river and crash through a restaurant (where he claimed to be his own twin brother after someone recognised him. He doesn't have a twin brother ...) rather than face the music. There are all sorts of reasons mooted as to why he's been canned now - drugs, drink, violence, all of the above. For UK types unfamiliar with AFL it's the equivalent of Wayne Rooney being told he can't play for Man Utd any more because he's a rogue element who's gone utterly out of control.

Alright, maybe not Wayne Rooney then, but you get the idea.

I'd been hoping for a quiet morning, but bad-boy Benny's axing had me chasing details for Sydney, with varying degrees of success. This has meant the all-important parent-teacher newsletter I've been roped into editing for my daughter's school has been postponed yet again. Quite how everyone will cope without the news of who got elected to the fundraising committee I'm not sure.

All the activity of the last week or two has also meant I've fallen behind on my 52 Books in 52 Weeks drive and at 12 weeks it looks like I'll be pulling out my first Cheat Book, one so thin I can whip through it in a day and get back on schedule. All assuming nothing else comes up.

Like that script I've got gathering dust ...

2 Comments:

Blogger Peter Pan said...

So are you opting for Mr Tickle or Mr Happy?

7:05 PM  
Blogger Pete Kempshall said...

Used them in weeks four and five ...

Looking like The Miserable Mill by Lemony Snicket. I've had the first six volumes of his series for about five years and I'm averaging one every 18 months.

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home