Friday, September 07, 2007

The Rough with the Smooth

A wiser head than I (he knows who he is) once said that as far as reviews go you have to make your choice early: either read them all, regardless of which side of the line they come down on, or read none at all and insulate yourself completely. If you can't take it on the chin, stay out of the ring.

I choose to read them all, and longtime blog followers will know I've been pretty fortunate so far, with almost everything I've written getting a postive rap. Well, that had to change sometime, didn't it?

The first two reviews of In Bad Dreams, while reasonably good for the book as a whole, have been less than stellar as far as my yarn's concerned. One critic was disappointed by the ending - although she did think the story was suspensefully written at least. The second kicks it round the block, calling it cliched and poorly penned.

Ah well. You get that.

I still expect you all to buy it, though ...

2 Comments:

Blogger Peter Pan said...

Fuck them. Are you happy with it? Thats all I'd care about.... that and did they pay you....

5:32 PM  
Blogger Pete Kempshall said...

Well, in fairness it is tough to be a critic - I have been, I know! And if people don't like the story, it's their prerogative to say so.

As long as there's a constructive element to the criticism, fair play to them, I say. And at least in the worst of the reviews there was something to build on. I'd hoped the nasty nature of the protagonist would have you keen to see her impending comeuppance - if that didn't come across, that's a flaw in the writing and she was right to pick up on it.

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home