Saturday, August 18, 2007

Where Everybody Knows Your Name

I'm a fair way behind the pack when it comes to audio plays from Big Finish. Little things like feeding the family each week mean that the days are long gone when I could afford to snap up their Doctor Who discs at the time of release. And as for as the various spin-off series, the only one I'm still up to speed with is the Bernice Summerfield range, not just for the obvious reasons but also because they really are exceedingly well-written, right across the board.

Anyway, it's more than five years since BF launched their range of 2000AD audio plays, and I'm embarrassed to say I've only just got my hands on some of them.

Being the weekend, it was time to plug into one of the stories and take my mind off the various house-keeping chores people do of a Saturday. First cab off the rank was Wanted: Dredd or Alive by my old boss-turned-professional-scribe David Bishop. And as I scrubbed last night's pots I realised he's been sitting on a pleasant little secret for the last half-a-decade.


For anyone unfamiliar with the character, Judge Dredd lives in Mega-City One, a huge metropolis consisting of hundreds of City Blocks, each housing thousands of people. A city block provides residents with shops, schools and sufficient other facilities that they could conceivably never leave their block in the whole of their lives. Think a city squeezed into a tower block and you'd be pretty close.

The other thing about them is that they're named after famous people or characters from the 20th and 21st centuries. Since the strip began there have been Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman Blocks, for instance, as well as blocks named after Charlton Heston, Marlon Brando and hundreds of others. Yes, you know you've made it when a block bears your name.

So I was particularly chuffed when, 26 minutes in, the action shifted to Pete Kempshall Block. Yes, it was big grins and chuckles as I sploshed through the dishes.

The only problem is that I'm now stuck doing the washing up for the rest of my life - if I looked that happy doing it, my wife reasoned, I could stick with it.

Ah, fame.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark Deniz said...

There's NO way I could have kept from blabbing that one if I'd done the same... cool stuff!

6:12 PM  
Blogger Peter Pan said...

I so cant do audio books. My horrendoud ADD kciks in and within seconds I am off somewhere in my own head and 20 mins later come back with no clue as to what is happening in the story that has been happily playing to deaf ears. I need somewhere to focus the eyes or forget it!

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home