Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Farewell, Old Friends

Signed off on the proofs for Old Friends last night. One minor change to correct another one of my blunders that would have had the Continuity Cops frothing madly, then away they went. Now it's just a matter of the book being printed and it's off in the public domain.

It's strange, realising that your involvement with a book is effectively over. Sure, I've been there with short stories, but they're usually done and dusted in a couple of months. This story has been around in one form or another since March. I imagine it's how parents feel when their children get to the age of 18 and fly the coop - you've done all you can do, now it's up to them. But you still can't resist the urge to interfere ...

Next time I see my story - in book form - I know I'll find any number of things I wish I'd have fiddled around with. Which is another reason why, ladies and gentlemen, we have editors: to stop people like me tweaking and polishing for decades and to get the things on the shelves.

So there you go - proud, excited, a little sad.

Something new, please.

2 Comments:

Blogger Roo Green said...

Good news on the book and loving the new photo! xx

5:20 PM  
Blogger Peter Pan said...

Rah!
When its no.1 in Waterstones can I have your autograph? ;-)

Well done. dead pleased for you.

7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home