Saturday, June 14, 2008

MiTunes

Apologies for the enforced absence again - lots on my plate at the minute, and I promise to drop in later and tell you all about it. In the meantime, my old mate David Bishop (over at Vicious Imagery) has tagged me with this musical meme. Here's the deal:

"List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re not any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now, shaping your spring. Post these instructions in your blog along with your 7 songs. Then tag 7 other people to see what they’re listening to."

So, the top seven songs in my life at the moment ...

1) Here I Go Again '87 - Whitesnake. My wife latched onto some throwaway comment I made a while ago about my teenage love of big-haired rock, and this song was top of the list. She got me a copy for my birthday in February and even now I'm giving it a ridiculously high amount of rotation. (Normally headphones only, though. I can only put it on the speakers - loudly - when there's no one about. And under no circumstances is there to be any singing into broomsticks ...)

2) Nylon Smile - Portishead. Tough call between this and Hunter from the trip-hoppers' third album. Nylon Smile wins on points both for being a sublime effort and for avoiding the silly wibbly bits that have crept into some of the other tracks on the disc.


3) I Fought The Law - The Clash. Pinched from the soundtrack to the TV show Ashes To Ashes, it's been on my iPod for my morning run. I've been leeching its energy during that difficult last half-a-k.

4) Hear That Sound - INXS. I've just received a large number of boxes from the UK containing all the personal effects I left behind 11 years ago. One of the items I've fallen upon with misty-eyed nostalgia is the VHS/CD combo Live Baby Live, recorded at Wembley Stadium in July 1991 (and still the best gig I've ever been to by quite some distance). Hear That Sound jumped out at me because I've been stuck with Best Of ... compilations for all my INXS needs over the last decade, and I'd completely forgotten this song even existed. Loved it then, love it now.

5) All You Need Is Love - The Beatles. Dug out an old Fab Four CD as mood music while I've been reading a history of Britain in the 60s. Bizarrely I've also discovered it's the perfect length for timing soft-boiled eggs for my daughter ...

6) Temptation - The God Machine. Because I've been asked to write a short story based on it. Which is kind of a swizz because it has no lyrics. Plentiful listening has given me the springboard I need, though, including sinister use of wind-chimes ...

7) On Her Majesty's Secret Service - John Barry Orchestra. Because no other theme tune to a film pushes exactly the right emotional buttons for me (I hear this and immediately want to ski quickly down a mountian, pursued by e-vil henchmen ...). Oh, and because it's the ring-tone on my mobile, so I get to hear it a lot.


So that's me - I now tag Mark Deniz, Simon Guerrier, Paul Robinson, Ian Mond, Adam Williams, Amanda Pillar and Erykah Brackenbury. Away you go, guys.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Done!

- Amanda Pillar

5:50 PM  
Blogger Peter Pan said...

You swine!
I knew as soon as you mentioned tagging I was in trouble!
I shall attend to it now!
And you were at INXS at Wembley? Me too! And about 80,000 others, but hey!
Wasnt Debbie Harry a state?

8:29 PM  
Blogger Addster said...

Done...though it would probably be different tomorrow. An interesting exercise. I enjoyed reading other people's sevens.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Done, finally! Gave me something to think about. Suppose I should be glad you tagged me (kind of...)

11:28 PM  
Blogger Pete Kempshall said...

Paul - yes, I was at Wembley that day. I'll always remember having a great view from the stands just to the right of stage ... then getting persuaded by my mate to head down into the crowd for INXS and only being able to see if I jumped up in the air. And I still have nightmares about Debbie Harry that day *Shudder*

Adam - you're right, it's been fun seeing what people have come up with. And you're very brave owning up to Cliff!

Erykah - I'm glad you're glad, largely because I always expect people to mail me back swearily for tagging them. It's nice someone's happy about it!

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home