Friday, June 08, 2007

Block Busting

Not been very chatty or communicative these last few days, largely thanks to the worst case of writers' block I've ever had.

I've been asked to pitch a short story in a themed collection, due at the end of the month. I've been turning over ideas in my mind for a few weeks now, and while a few of them are promising and fit in well with the theme, they all lack the one thing that would make them great ... an emotional core.

They're all 'meh'.

So I've spent days working on the old tricks to crack the deadlock - researching the life out of the subject, stepping away and working on something different, stepping away and working on piles of DVDs ...

Nothing. Nada. Zip.

Came to the conclusion today that it's because I have all these half-formed yarns rattling around in my head, blotting out the new stuff. I'm going to have to write up all the little bits to purge them from the system, no matter how dud they are.

So that's what I'll be doing, if anyone asks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home